Recently, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI) announced the implementation of a collaborative initiative aimed at facilitating the expedited grant of Mexican patents to holders of U.S. patents.
This initiative allows a patent applicant who has been granted a U.S. patent the option to choose expedited granting of a patent for a Mexican patent application at any point during its processing by the IMPI.
GUIDELINES TO BE FOLLOWED
The Accelerated Granting Program (APG) encompasses a set of basic requirements for requesting expedited granting, which are as follows:
1. Having a corresponding application in the USPTO that has been granted.
2. Applying only to patent applications granted by the USPTO.
3. Being eligible for request even if the technical examination has already started at the IMPI.
4. Amending and aligning the claims with those granted by the USPTO.
5. Providing the patent number granted by the USPTO, which has been published in the official gazette, a translation of the claims into Spanish, and a comparative table of correspondence between claims. Read more