The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) of Taiwan has introduced their "Accelerated Design Patent Examination Pilot Program" (hereinafter referred to as the Program) to provide a more diverse and flexible examination process for design patent applications. Under this Program, design applicants who meet any of the following conditions can apply for Accelerated Design Patent Examination from filing of design application until receipt of a first office action.
1. Third-party commercial exploitation
Applicants shall provide supporting documents (such as product catalogs, newspapers, magazines, etc.) indicating that a third party has commercially exploited the design, and third party details, including exploitative actions and start time.
2. Designs receiving known domestic or international design awards.
Applicants shall provide supporting documents including a certificate bearing the applicant’s name and appearance of the subject design. Design awards applicable within this condition include the following.
- Golden Pin Design Award (Taiwan)
- iF Design Award (Germany)
- Red Dot Design Award (Germany)
- Good Design Award (Japan)
- International Design Excellence Award, IDEA (USA) Read more